Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:15:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        cjs@cynic.net (Curt Sampson)
Cc:        bsdx@looksharp.net, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun mice (fwd)

Curt Sampson drunkenly mumbled...

> Actually, the keyboard and mouse ports are still serial ports, at least
> on the SS20:
>
>     zs0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x100000 level 12 softpri 6
>     zstty0 at zs0 channel 0 (console i/o)
>     zstty1 at zs0 channel 1
>     zs1 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 12 softpri 6
>     kbd0 at zs1 channel 0
>     ms0 at zs1 channel 1
>
> The connector just has a different shape. You can use a type-3 mouse
> and keyboard on modern machines if you just build the right cable.

learn something new every day, that's the idea anyway. :)

so let me see if i've got this straight then..

until today, i though the kybd/mouse ran on a serial bus and the two serial
ports had their own controlers.  but from what i see here, there are two
serial buses (or maybe one gargantuan serial controller), the serial ports
share one, and the kybd/mouse share the other, so in actuality, the only
difference is the connector that is hung off of it.  interesting.  so
theroretically serial mice should work regardless of the OS.  the wheel
on the other hand....

cheers,

-brian