Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 22:57:04 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        begj@core.schoolnet.sc.ug
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 08:38:21AM +0300, begj@core.schoolnet.sc.ug wrote:
> I'm quite new to Network Address Translation on FreeBSD 4.1-Stable but I
> managed to get it running and I now use that box as a gateway.  One thing
> that pertubs me is the message that natd gives saying that it "failed to
> write a packet back. Host is down"

IIRC, that is what you get when the ARP fails for a local machine.

In other words, you most frequently see it when (a) you try to talk to
a local host that is not there, (b) that local host is misconfigured
or broken, (c) your machine is broken, or (d) there is something
physically wrong with the connection on the LAN.