Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:26:32 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loader badly broken on the alpha

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Whoa! Take it easy...
>
> Fine insofar as it goes, and, err, umm, I wasn't asking you to pull the 3KB
> out of the FICL code. I was trying to squeeze it elsewhere coz I *like* the
> FICL code.
>
> There are some fun && games for alpha boot space and how FreeBSD uses it which
> makes this dance somewhat interesting.
>
> But see later mail- we've solved the problem for now. A bit more cleverness
> will extend things even further. I doubt that we'll need to require any
> scrunch from FICL, which, as you correctly are hinting it, is the queen bee of
> the boot code which everything else should bust butt to serve.

I wasn't suggesting taking anything out. Just that there is this huge
string of source code that is linked, which could be compressed before
linked, and then uncompressed before use with the gunzip code we already
have.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I demand that my picture show a handsome face, even if it doesn't look
like me."