Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 23:15:28 -0700
From:      Peter Hessler <phessler@theapt.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3c905C-TX

I have had nothing but success with 3c905x, or 3c509 cards.  I have them=20
in my web/dns/mail server, my firewall, and my workstation.  I also use=20
them quite a bit at work.  Never had any problem with any OS (FreeBSD,=20
OpenBSD, Windows 95).  Just thought I would throw that out.

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 10:53 pm, Sten wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002, Glendon Gross wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, do only 3c509's exibit this behavior, or is this
> > the core problem with 3c59x's as well?  My experiences have not
> > been consistent with these cards, and I had assumed it was due
> > to buggy code in the 3-Com chipset.  I've noticed flaky behavior
> > from the "Vortex" [3c59x] card as well.
>
> I would assume is the chipset, because just out of the blue redoing
> negotiation doesnt seem like something that a sane driver would do.
> The most probable thing is that the card interprets normal traffic
> erronously as negotiation signals.
>
> > Just now I have been wrestling with an ISA 3c509 which has
> > a Lucent 40-01304 chip on it.  At first the card was detected, and
> > later not detected [on a different OS.]    I vote for the fxp's as
> > well, I've had hardly any problems with them.
> >
> > Is there a way to lock down the card by hacking the driver, so it
> > won't try to auto-negotiate the connection?
>
> Like I said forcing it ( with the dos config tool ) helps,
> and solves the problems in most cases.
> But it's pretty workable when you force both sides.

--=20
Peter Hessler
<phessler@theapt.org>