Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:22:10 +1100
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 08:25:42AM -0700, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Michael Grant wrote:
>
> > > NFS cross-mounts again will do
>
> no they won't. Old idea, bad idea, don't do it. NFS is not robust enough
> for this.

* Michael Grant didn't write that. I did.
* You've left out the statement that followed it: "There are some nasty
failure modes associated with doing this ... "
* NFS probably is robust enough for some environments.  A suggestion
I was given to remember with cross-mounts is to use soft/interruptible, and
always login as root directly (rather than trying to sudo from a user
account that may have just become unavailable in /home).

--
Joshua Goodall
joshua@roughtrade.net               "Your byte hit ratio is weak, old man"