Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:51:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mirrored root fs?

It seems Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Soeren Schmidt wrote:
>
> > Not true, you can boot off a broken mirror on a non-RAID ATA controller,
> > and then rebuild on the fly with atacontrol once the system is up
>
> Is this new (ie. since August 22, 2002)?  I attempted to do this back then
> and I couldn't actually get a rebuild to work for stock ATA controllers.
> At that point, I kept getting:
> atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDREBUILD): Operation not supported by device
>
> See: http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=698625+0+archive/2002/freebsd-stable/20020825.freebsd-stable
> for details on my abortive attempts to get this to work.
>
> Will I get different results if I try this procedure again, now?
> Alternatively, what did I do wrong in the original procedure?

It should work on 4.7 forward, but its been a while since I played with it.
Another thing is that its a pain to make a mirror on an already running
system (which is often wanted), so I plan to add an option to atacontrol
to tell where to get the master from, and then do an automatic rebuild
during the create phase ie:

atacontrol create RAID1 ad0 ad2 source ad0

This will create a mirror using ad0 and ad2, and start a rebuild to
build the master with data from ad0. This way you can do a normal
install, add a second (identical or bigger) disk, and make a
mirror out of those. You just have to change your fstab before
rebooting (ad0 -> ar0) in order to boot...

-Søren