Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 15:25:12 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        danf@server1.bisnet.NET (Daniel C. Fifield)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem setting up nntpd (fwd)

Daniel C. Fifield:
>I am attempting to setup nntpd.  I installed it and changed the owner and
>group to news on all the files.  I also changed the nntp line in the
>/etc/inetd.conf file to look like:

>nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/libexec/nntpd        nntpd

>I sent a HUP signal to the inetd process, but I am still getting
>Connection Refused if I attempt to telnet to the 119 port.

I am assuming you are using an older version, since the default installation
is now as a standalone daemon. Hmmm.... I don't see what you could be missing.

I probably assumed wrong. Try starting it from /usr/local/sbin/nntpd by hand,
and if that works put a line in /etc/rc.local so it starts when the machine
comes up.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>