Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 09:23:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, Troy Curtiss <troyc@sandy.merix.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two-way pipe possible without C/perl?

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I like this, alot.  But how are you monitoring these system so FreeBSD
> knows when to send you a message?
>
> I have a pager and am very interested in this.

Hello!
I currently use the following setup - maybe it's a little simplistic, but
it works.
(Assuming that your paging company allows you to send messages via modem.)

* I wrote several scripts on the machines I want to monitor. They check
all the parameters I'm interested in, and come out with a one-line
summary. They give the total status there as well (i.e "ok" || "FIRE!!!").
I run it in crontab as often as needed.
* Then there is the main script on my managing machine, which collects
output from the scripts (I use `ssh -l name machine 'do_the_job.sh'`,
just to be sure that sensitive data go to me only). It is also run in
crontab, let's say every half an hour (some people say here: your mileage
may vary :-). If it detects something unusual, it sends me a message.
* How? I'm using "expect". It took me one day to grasp the basics, and
another one to cut&paste one of the example scripts to do what I want.
Basically, I telnet to my Xylogics Annex and use one of its modems to dial
out & connect to the paging company. Then I send a message and voila! It's
Sunday 3:00am and your whole family is listening to wonderfully
excruciating
"beep, beep, beep"...

Hope this helps a bit.

Andy

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@warman.org.pl>    _)    _)   _)_)   _)_)_) _)  _)
Research and Academic Network in Poland   _)  _)_) _)_)_)_)     _) _) _)
Bartycka 18, 00-716 Warsaw, Poland        _)    _) _)    _) _)_)_) _)  _)