Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 05:05:46 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, rssh@grad.kiev.ua, hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

> > Well, I did actually test it myself when you first announced it but,
> > to be perfectly honest, there were so few actual configuration screens
> > currently implemented that I thought "hmmmm, nice idea but not enough
>
> Hmmm.. But this is only a test version! IMHO, you shouldn't expect that
> someone writes the _complete_ stuff at this stage, where it wasn't decided
> yet which direction to take.

I was being honest.  Like I said, it's not necessarily _fair_ but
these are the criteria that myself and others apply to administration
tools.  You think you've got it bad?  Hah - just think about how the
poor compiler writers feel - nobody looks at their stuff until it
implements the _full_ programming language. :-)

> So, what is the minimal set of tasks that should be implemented in a test
> version of admin tool, before you (or someone else from the team) will
> consider it "nice AND worth pursuing" ...?

It should take over at least one important function currently filled
by another (insufficiently sophisticated) tool.   One example might
be adduser/deluser/edituser functionality.  Another might be an rc.conf
editor/merge utility.

					Jordan