Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Chris Parry <laotzu@juniper.net>
Cc:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>, alex@nac.net, freebsd-SCSI@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DPT support binaries - How to Setup

On 23-Jun-98 Chris Parry wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, have it up as a single RAID-1 device with dos
> and FreeBSD on it, worked like a charm.
>

>> > Also, when a drive fails (or I unplug it), will it only log to
>> > /var/log/messages?  Anyone have an automated response mechanism
>> > installed
>> > to notify of disk failure?
>>
>> I do, but it is not released yet.
>
> So there is *nothing* software wise that happens when the dpt detects a
> failed drive?  I saw nothing in /var/log nor anything from syslog
> *.debug.
> Has anyone tried to run the sco 'broadcaster' that comes with it with
> ibcs2 emulation?

There is nothing that the software sees when a failure happens.  Unless the
array is DEAD.  As long as the array is capable of delivering and accepting
the data, it will look like a perfect disk to the O/S.  This is the whole
point behind such devices.

The SCSO executables will probably not work correctly as I have not
finished the IOCTL emulation yet.  In any case, the 2.2 DPT driver is
missing much of this emulation.  The 3.0 driver has it, but not fully
debugged.  It is much difficult work to thoroughly debug this, and I have
yet to get the sources from DPT, so I can reasonably debug this emulation.

This emulation issue has nothing to do with emulating SCSO Unix so that SCO
binaries run correctly.  This emulation may or may not work well enouth.
What I amtalking about here is emulating the DPT driver for SCO so that
ioctl system calls top the driver are interpreted correctly.