Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:02:44 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jan Koum <jkb@ethereal.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

At 09:52 PM 7/13/2000, Robert Watson wrote:

>When the figures came out, a number of members of the FreeBSD development
>team contacted the folks at Security Focus and met with a very positive
>and understanding response.

That's great! But what happens when a mainstream publication does its own
survey and gets it wrong? The correction, in 8 point type on a page
mostly covered with masthead information, will hardly be noticed.
Revising the subject line is easy, and I think it's worth doing. I can't
believe that anyone would make a fuss about it.

>One aspect of security education for our users needs to be learning to
>distinguish "lots of advisories" with "lots of holes".

I agree! Unfortunately, Red Hat has both, and has established the
impression, among many, that they correlate. I think we should keep
up the advisories but make it unmistakable even to the casual reader
where the hole is. Agreed?

--Brett