Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2002 01:32:54 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeing thread structures.

Robert Watson wrote:
> I used to think that idea was cool, and now I just think it's evil.  The
> reason to have per-thread credentials in kernel is to reduce the
> requirement for locking and to allow consistent use of credentials while
> in kernel.

As Julian notes, having per thread credentials means locking
in thread_exit(), when it would not otherwise be necessary.

[ ... other argument about the evils of threads with different
credentials in the same process ... ]

I agree: it's evil.

So the question becomes: can we get rid of the locking in the
thread_exit() function if we didn't have per thread credentials?

-- Terry