Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 09:43:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Subject:   Re: mcAffee Anti Virus

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote:

> > Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us> on Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 said:
> >
> > > I was checking out the Anti-virus programs for FreeBSD by McAffee
> > > and ran it on my system.  It showed that I had SEVERAL files infected with
> > > a SYSLOCK virus.  Any one know about this stuff?
> > >
> > > Is it worth buying, and is SYSLOCK a real threat?
>

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > I tried out the Mcafee ViruScan for FreeBSD ("uvscan") and had the same
> > results.  I scanned a large collection of PC files and a hundred or so
> > were reported to have this virus.  Given that many of the files were GIFs
> > and other pure data formats I was skeptical of the results.
> >
> > So... I spend an hour or so chatting to a nice guy at Mcafee tech support.
> > I mailed him a supposedly infected file (a Powerpoint file) and he scanned
> > it with his Linux and DOS versions of VirusScan and found no sign of
> > infection.  He sent the info off to development so the bug can be fixed.
>

> (Jeff)
>
> What version # is this?  The 1.01E on their Web site now, or an earlier
> release?

Yes, 1.01E.  This is an older scanning engine, but it does work with their
up-to-date virus data files.  I asked the McAfee tech about this and he
said that there'd be newer versions at some point, but that Unix
development takes a back seat to Windows.

The guy I spoke with handles all of the tech support for all Unix versions
of VirusScan.  He said that I was the _only_ person to ever call about the
FreeBSD version... there have only been a handful of calls about the Linux
version.

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx