Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:59:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user-level distributed shared memory available for freebsd

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Ron G. Minnich wrote:
>
> > This system is called ZOUNDS. it's all user mode, no special sysadmin
> > bugs to me, of course.
> Ron, where is this?

ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html

Look down the page, it's in the free software section (I hope).

> I don't know if you have the time to pander to my curiosity on one point,
> but I'm sure you know the anser to this (if you're not too busy).  I know
> unix in general has never had a really good file locking system.  Why
> doesn't someone write one just for FreeBSD?
well,
1) I don't really do file locking, I use memory-variable locking, i.e.
   test-and-set stuff. That's in MNFS, the previous system, which I'm
   currently working to put into openbsd.
2) ZOUNDS is based on the one-writer model, as is the DEC memory-channel.
   The locking in ZOUNDS will not be based on the test-and-set model.

I have not looked at FreeBSD locking, but I thought it worked ok on ufs?
What's missing? NFS locking, now, that's another kettle of fish.

ron