Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 12:13:39 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New pccard entry

> Hey folks,
>
> I just picked up an NE2000 compatible from Fry's, and it seems to work
> just about fine.  Here's the pccard.conf entry for it, I confess I haven't
> checked -current to see if this is there.
>
> # Apollo RE450CT NE-2000 Clone  (PIO Mode)
> card "Ethernet" "Adapter"
> 	config	0x1 "ed0" 11 0x10

The '0x10' is a PAO-ism.  Nuke it.

> 	insert	echo Apollo NE2000 inserted
> 	insert	/etc/pccard_ether ed0 link0 -link1

And the 'ed' driver doesn't use the link flags for NE2000 clones.

> 	remove	echo Apollo NE2000 removed
> 	remove	/sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete
>

> Note the descriptive names it has in it's bios. :-)

Heh.  Is the package for the card crimped closed, or does it just snap
together?  If the latter, if you have a chance to open it up, I'd be
interested in knowing what the chip inside is...

> One question I have -- and I see this on my desktop every so often as
> well.  It doesn't seem to effect anything, but I occasionally get these in
> my syslog:
>
> Nov  5 10:50:36 kriek /kernel: ed0: device timeout
>
> I've only seen these with NE2000 clones.  Any ideas?

It usually means that there's a problem with your network cabling; the
8390 generates a 'transmission complete' interrupt when it's finished
sending a packet, but if it doesn't hear itself on the network it won't
generate it, leading to the timeout message above.

mike