Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:26:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern imgact_gzip.c

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:08:04 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Brian F. Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
> > To: Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
> > Cc: Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@freebsd.org>,
>      hoek@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org
> > Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern imgact_gzip.c

> > > This is the unpatched (insecure) version of gzexe (all the /tmp/gztmp$$'s),
> > > but it's functionally the same.

> > > Yes, that seems to be a problem - gzexe depends on those executables. However
> > > it shouldn't be too hard to recode this decompressor in C to perform the same
> > > job without any external dependencies. The question is whether that would be
> > > easier than fixing the kernel to handle gzipped ELF binaries transparently -
> > > almost certainly it would be.
> >
> > How's what I attached?
>
> [Context left in for cross-post to hackers]
>
> Hmm..I don't have a deflate on my system. This should be linked static as
> well, otherwise you need the runtime linker + libraries, and that has a 69k
> overhead (when stripped). Possibly this could be optimized further..I don't
> know if this is small enough to be useful however.

It's a proof of concept, it didn't need to be static. I don't have a program
to do deflate either. What I know is that you said it would be hard, but
it was not very hard to make a framework to do what gzexe does in C.

> Mike's suggestion of a gzipped MFS image is probably best for things like boot
> floppies.
>
> Kris
>
> >  Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
> >  green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
> >      FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
> >        http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/
> >

> -----
> "Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile in their shoes,
> because by that time you will be a mile away and have their shoes."
>     -- Unknown

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/