Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:23:38 +0100
From:      Uwe Doering <gemini@geminix.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@fasttrackmonkey.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 "Alternate system clock has died" error

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> I just looked at RELENG_4, and yes, backporting should be easy.  Though
>>> I haven't tried it yet on our machines.
>>>
>>> I wonder, however, what's writing to the RTC on a running server.  Could
>>> this event perhaps have been triggered by the recent Daylight Saving
>>> Time switch?
>
>> Yep.  Also, if you are using ntp, then the adjustments to the time are
>> getting
>> pushed back to the RTC as well.
>
> I run ntp everywhere.
>
> So it certainly looks easy enough for me to change the first two
> sections of the diff referenced above, but I'm having issues finding
> that last one in cpu_initclocks().  It looks like that section really
> has changed quite a bit. (see v.1.206)

Just look for all instances of

   writertc(RTC_STATUSB, rtc_statusb);

and put

   rtcin(RTC_INTR);

directly behind them (into the next line).  There should be three of
them, in 4.8 as well as RELENG_4 and CURRENT.

> Is there any interest in moving this back to 4-STABLE?

Interest there is, I suppose.  Plenty of people still run 4.x.  The
question is rather whether there is any committer willing to do the
backport.  As far as I can tell, most of them are more focused on newer
branches.  Perhaps we need special backporting committers for legacy
branches.  Just a thought. ;-)

> And lastly, is there any snippet of code that can twiddle the clock from
> userspace and determine if it's wedged or dead?

You may want to look at adjkerntz(8).

    Uwe
--
Uwe Doering         |  EscapeBox - Managed On-Demand UNIX Servers
gemini@geminix.org  |  http://www.escapebox.net