Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:06:08 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

Rob Snow wrote:
> I'm all for it.

Me, too.

>   - Why not?

Indeed.  Plus, some kind of visual cue could help spread FreeBSD's name
recognition and use:

   Joe McHacker: "Hey, what's that Omnipotent Corp 5,000,000/XZ/PC
running over there?"
   ISP Dude: "That's FreeBSD."
   Joe McHacker: "But doesn't your ISP serve over 300 hundred million
simultaneous
                  users located on several planets with uptimes going
into the decades?"
   ISP Dude: "Yep."
   Joe McHacker: "Maybe I'll give it a try, too."

>   - What _is_ the downside?
>   - Dont want it, turn it off.
>   - It's not "Windoze" that comes to mind, it's Irix (I think it was
>     here slightly before W95...)

Quite.  And I remember Sun Microsystems's twisty-little S logo appearing
on an old Sun 3/50 some time ago.  (Then, there was the snazzy color
version on the Sun IPX.)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov