Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:01:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        Thad Smith <tsmith@sig.net>
Cc:        John Brown <jbrown@vafibre.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Username Alias

Note, of course, this affects only email addresses. The user still
must use his 8 char logname for login, POP account and personal web
directories (at least if using NCSA or Apache web server) to keep
things simple. We use a default entry for RADIUS and use the Unix
password database as well.

We thought about doing this, but just about ANYBODY can buy a computer
nowadays and we decided it was preferable to have ONE user identification
string for all the services. We do provide aliases in special cases,
but usually for someone who has multiple accounts and home, work, AOL
etc and wants to read mail at the same place all the time.

My opinion, doing this will be a headache in the future. You may
not see it now, but things like this can get tiresome and be a real
pain in the a** to eliminate later _when_ you find it less desirable.

But then an alias for someone who _really_ wants it could provide
additional income :)

Jeffrey A. Lynch, President		      JORSM Internet
email: jeff@jorsm.com		Northwest Indiana's Full-Service Provider
Voice: (219)322-2180		   927 Sheffield Avenue, Dyer, IN 46311
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com		   http://www.jorsm.com