Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:56:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to run pwd_mkdb from fixit floppy?

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Bill Fenner wrote:
>
> > Any clues on how I can get logged in to straighten the world out?
>
> 	I think you can fix this up by booting single user using '-s' at
> the boot prompt.  You should not be prompted for a password.  Then
> remount / to be weritable and use passwd or chpass to delete/update your
> password.

	One caveat...if you have secure disabled in /etc/ttys on the
console, as follows:

# This entry needed for asking password when init goes to single-user mode
# If you want to be asked for password, change "secure" to "insecure" here
console none                            unknown off

	It will prompt you for root password.

	Why secure console?  So that someone can't do what Adrian above
pointed out...hit the power, reboot into single user mode and actually
change the root password :(

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc