Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:16:57 +0200
From:      Stefan Hoffmeister <Stefan.Hoffmeister@Econos.de>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Stefan Hoffmeister <freebsd-ml@Econos.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc_r, signal handler ucontext modification

: On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:07:50 -0400 (EDT), Daniel Eischen wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Stefan Hoffmeister wrote:

>> [copy context back into thread]

>You can't do that.  There is no requirement that the interrupted thread
>is the one that handles the signal.  If you copy the context back to
>the current threads context storage, then you'll possibly end up with
>2 threads running (or trying to run) on the same stack!

Ouch :-)

>You could also easily modify the context and do a
>sigreturn(ucp) on it to achieve the same effect (being careful to make
>sure you're not trying to jump to another threads context).

This sounds very good, indeed. I do not want to make a context switch;
essentially all I care about is that

  * the changed value of EIP is taken

  * ESP (from context) is retained

  * Changed values of EAX, EDX are taken

AFA sigreturn is concerned: libc_r.so (!) does not export it; it only
exports _thread_sys_sigreturn. Is there some kind of "__strong_reference"
missing?

In a slightly daring move, I am calling _thread_sys_sigreturn and, in my
trivial test scenario, this seems to work - now I wonder whether it is
supposed to work?

IOW, is _thread_sys_sigreturn an alias for sigreturn in libc_r.so?

Thanks very much,
Stefan