Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 02:26:01 +0900 (JST)
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au (Carey Nairn)
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: iij-ppp ver 0.94

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if there was a way of passing variables to the login
> script at the time of execution.  The system I log into requires that a
> ppp process is started form the terminal server command line (i.e. no PAP
> authentication - the user logs in to the terminal server as a normal
> login).  The thing that worries me is that I have my password stored in
> plain text in my ppp.conf file.  What I would like to have is for the PPP
> process to prompt me for my password when the login script starts.  Is
> this possible ??

I guess the system you log into is shared machine like a gateway
machine, right ? And you want to connect the peer and gateway by
PPP(iij-ppp) NOT a your terminal(?) and gateway. This means your
peer's password in ppp.conf is out of your control..either plain text
nor crypted one ;-)

Anyway current iij-ppp doesn't has a such a functionality that passing
a user and passwd by prompting you when connecting to a peer
interractivly.

But if you have a two connection to gateway, one is using for invoking
a ppp as Interacctive mode.

    o Invoke a ppp with your configuration
      i.e. ppp specgw
    o Rewriting a login scritps with your password  on ppp prompt
      i.e. set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: ppp word: ppp"
    o dial on ppp prompt.

It's might be not smart but...
> thanks,
> Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
> Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
> Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
> University of Tasmania.         !

Atsushi.
--
Atsushi Murai                                       Internet: amurai@spec.co.jp
System Planning and Engineering Co,.Ltd.            Voice   : +81-33833-5341