Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 09:49:04 -0700
From:      bmah@cs.berkeley.edu (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@sarnoff.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Frame relay and ATM support: virtual interface per vpi?

"Ron G. Minnich" writes:
> > Doesn't it seem that if you do the VIF per VCI model, you're
> > restricting yourself to having only a single VC to any given
> > destination?  In other words, it seems that this model would preclude
> > my being able to have multiple VCs to another host.
> not at all. you can have lots of vc's per destination. The reason we've
> set up to support so many VCs is to support many VCs per host. Again, you
> have to move your thinking around a bit from the current networking
> model. Once you start doing that, however, the particular way to plug ATM
> into the BSD networking architecture is not as obvious as it first seems.
> We're even looking at having user-mode striped ATM connections between
> applications, and boy does this make for some changes ...

Hmmm.  So I guess, w.r.t the BSD networking implementation, one would
(for example) associate a TCP connection with a route through the
appropriate VIF for that connection's VC?  Something like that?

The way I've been looking at things is more from a router perspective,
in which you have to route packets for flows that don't necessarily
originate locally (thus the method I had in mind above doesn't work).
In this case, you need a packet classifier in the router (my
implementation was in the ATM device driver) to help with the
multiplexing.  It really violates layering because link-layer code is
looking at network and transport layer headers.  But there's no other
way to get all the information needed.

Bruce.