Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 22:35:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user-level distributed shared memory available for freebsd

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> This system is called ZOUNDS. it's all user mode, no special sysadmin
> needed to use it, uses TCP, comes with manual and a sample app. It can
> exploit rfork if you have it in your 2.2+ system, provides a simple
> shared-file-descriptor rfork loadable module if you have earlier than
> 2.2, and for most cases doesn't have to have rfork anyways (There's only
> one specific case where it is helpful but not necessary).
>
> bugs to me, of course.

Ron, where is this?

I don't know if you have the time to pander to my curiosity on one point,
but I'm sure you know the anser to this (if you're not too busy).  I know
unix in general has never had a really good file locking system.  Why
doesn't someone write one just for FreeBSD?

I've often wondered why I couldn't write something that would look at ufs,
and at inodes, say (as a locking point, I think) and make an absolute,
enforceable locking call for FreeBSD.  I know it would be completely
non-portable, but wouldn't it make FreeBSD kinda unique among unixes?

I am innocent of the higher level locking strategies (I'm in school for
that right now, which is teaching me how dumb I am), but I was wondering
if there is some reason it couldn't be done?

> ron
>
> Ron Minnich                |"If you leave out all the killings, D.C. has as
> rminnich@sarnoff.com       | low a crime rate as many cities" --
> (609)-734-3120             |  D.C. Mayor Marion Barry
> ftp://ftp.sarnoff.com/pub/mnfs/www/docs/cluster.html

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |