Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, jasone@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads

Sorry to have been silent for  few days on the topic..
I've been following but not had the time to respond.

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > OK, then let me ask another question: are we at all concerned about maybe
> > following an already established thread API, or are we going to create our
> > own?  Things like user threads probably could work as then are now (albeit
> > perhaps with only minor changes in performance) and stuff with runtimes
> > like Java wouldn't care, but big programs like XFree86 and Netscape, and
> > specially made daemons trying to do things like mass factoring,
> > that are going to really want to manipulate real concurrency levels,
> > they're going to have to be aware of our real underlying API, so making a
> > unique one will complicate a lot of lives.
>
> IMHO, we should stick to the POSIX and perhaps SSv2 standards.  We
> shouldn't be rolling our own non-standard interfaces unless there's
> a very good reason to.

One of the 'goals' we discussed was th ability to implement standards

Ithink that the exposed inteface will be a library.
The kernel interface is something we will have towork out on our own.
though some parts of it will necessarily be visible to teh outside
(e.g. through ps)

> POSIX provides a way to set concurrency levels (pthread_setconcurrency)
> as well as creating PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM threads which should compete
> for processor time with all the other scope system threads in the system.
> It might be good to see what Java and other systems need from a
> threads library.  Is a fully compliant POSIX threading environment
> enough?
I would imagine it should be enough.

> Dan Eischen
> eischen@vigrid.com

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-arch" in the body of the message

Julian