Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:13:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: SB16 and .au

On 15-Dec-96 Johan Larsson wrote:
>>Is there anyone else that have problems with bad (disted) sound while
>playing .au files to /dev/audio with a SB16 card? Are there any solutions
>to this problem? Thanks in advance :-)

I'm using an SB16. I've found that some .au files are just "too loud".
They seem to run the D/A in the SB16 out of range.

I don't know where the .au files you have came from, but I have found
that in translating .wav or other files, using sox, to .au files, that
they are too loud. I have had to run the "volume" parameter on sox at
.25 to get them clean.

Hope this helps..

Jim Durham