Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 97 11:51:56 Pacific Standard Time
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        "Stephen F. Combs"  <steve@combs.salem.ge.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, Giles Lean  <giles@nemeton.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Emulation of HP-UX or A*X?

<steve@combs.salem.ge.com> wrote:
> HP-UX is SystemVRel2 based (with HP-isms added), AIX is IBM's attempt to
> 'Big Blue' a unix, AUX is Apple's "Unix", and SunOS (up thru 4.1.4) is
> BSD with Sunisms.  The reason I began using FreeBSD was to have the SAME
> basic working environment on my PC as I had on my SPARC.  If you want
> HARDWARE Emulation it'd be easier AND cheaper to just buy the
> appropriate workstation and go from there.  If you want S/W emulation,
> I'd forget HP-U/X, AIX, and AUX (my personal opinion, after working with
> ALL of them!) and just go with SunOS.  You already got it!
> Can't run Sun binaries, but you CAN compile source and have it work
> (usually 'Fresh Out of the BOX').

Hmm, so if I were to be able to talk a commercial app builder who had an app
for SunOS to do the compile on a FBSD computer odds are that it might work?
That is an idea...

-Sean
Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 01/16/97 11:51:56