Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 00:31:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Michael Enkelis <michaele@mxim.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PNP gone

Michael Enkelis wrote:
> Does anyone know when the "pnp" command in userconfig will be restored?
> I use it to setup my TYAN motherboards builtin sound chip.

It's not likely to come back as it doesn't fit in with the New World Order
where the drivers themselves control the mappings alongside the isa/pnp
code.

The solution is to:
1) Make sure you have "controller pnp0" and "device pcm0" in your
   config file.  (nothing more, no "at isa? port 0x220" etc)
2) If that doesn't work, ie: you get an "unknown 0: <MSS> ..." or something,
   then you need to get the device LOGICAL ID to us.  send us a 'pnpinfo -v'
   or something so we can add the device id to dev/pcm/isa/* so that it's
   recognized by the driver.
3) If you have no luck, send us a dmesg showing the old probe and attach
   routines from a kernel that works.

Beware, if you used pcm before, the device will be probed as pcm0, not pcm1.
So, after you get something like this:
pcm0: <CS4236> at port 0x534-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0 on isa0
.. you will need to 'cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0' - otherwise your /dev/dsp
etc symlinks will point to /dev/dsp1 (ie: pcm1) which won't exist anymore.

Cheers,
-Peter