Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 1995 05:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, CVS-commiters@freefall.FreeBSD.org, cvs-ports@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/utils Makefile

> On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >  * BTW: suspending emacs and killing cvs is a 'bad thing', because it can
> >  * leave a lock on the directory in ~ncvs..  (here, you can have this
> >  * morning's conical hat back again.. :-).
> >
> > Uhh, is that so?  I thought cvs will delete all the lock files if
> > "kill"ed cleanly (i.e., no "-9")...I have done this more than
> > once...(+_+;)....
>
> I dont know the exact circumstances, but I know it happens, right when
> it's least convenient..  Anyway, quitting emacs without saving would give
> you an opportunity to do a clean abort right then.  I went to great pain
> in my cvsedit wrapper to get this right and maintain the behavior.

Please use the quit emacs without saving (for vi :q!, I don't grok emacs)
and then answer the silly little:
Log message unchanged or not specified
a)bort, c)ontinue, e)dit, !)reuse this message unchanged for remaining dirs
Action: (continue)

with an ``a'' to abort the commit.

THis is the _prefered_ and _correct_ method.

Do not use signals to abort cvs jobs, though it tries to do the right
things, it is not perfect in this respect :-(.

> I know there were two stray locks within the last day or two, but I can't
> remember where...  Rod might...

One was in the ports tree some place, the otherwas in some directory that
had man as part of its name, can't recall exactly where.

There where several .rlf's (read lock files) from thud too :-(.