Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:42:05 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Samy Touati <lmcsato@lmc.ericsson.se>
Cc:        Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: delays in ppp solved

> > Aha!  When I first started with SLIP, then PPP, one of the cardinal
> > rules given to me by Terry Lambert was "turn off modem compression
> > completely."  Reasons for this edict I've garnered over the years include:
> >
> > 3. Modem compression, as you have noticed, often interferes with VJ
> >    compression used in SLIP and PPP implementations.

Never seen it myself, and I'm *using* (ie; they are running now) CSLIP
one one line and compressed PPP on the other with compression enabled.
I think it's not a modem compression problem so much as other modem
setup problems.

> > 2. Modem compression often interferes with, and lengthens transfer of,
> >    compressed files such as .gz and .jpg.

I think 'interfere' is mis-leading.  It may cause some slowdowns of
transfters with compressed files, but it's not that great in my
experience.  (< 10%)

> > 1. Modem compression slows down turn-around time -- terrible for
> >    interactive sessions.

Again, this is true but it's not that bad.  Again, I'm seeing less than
10%.

But, you forget the positives.  Greater bandwidth, which means that
Netscape is 'faster' than it was w/out modem compression. :)

> Yes but if you turn off the compression on one modem, shouldn't you also
> turn it off no the remote modem as well?

If one modems doesn't support it (ie; it's disabled), the remote modem
won't use it.

Nate