Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:52:29 +0000
From:      Thordur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        Font <font@Mcs.Net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAIL FROM: address check commented out in /etc/mail additions?

Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Thordur Ivarsson wrote:
> > This rule is rather nasty: If sender has not legimate A record in name
> > server the rule fails and sends back error, CNAME record is not enough
> > for sender.
>
> It may be that from time to time we bounce legitimate mail.  But
> I haven't received any complaints and I've had this turned on for
> several months now.  We also return a 451 error meaning that they
> will retry on a DNS hickup.

I am not saying that it is not goot, just telling the truth, If you
don't know of this 'annoyance' of dns lookup for mail, you can not
answer someone with legimate mailaddress (CNAME though) that asks you
why his mail bounces. I belive that everyone that use good SPAM
filtering are doing good things and when all measures are taken, with
resonable care and knowledge of what we are doing, the spammers are off
the net.

The golden rule is always: Do what ever you can, but understand why and
how!

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!