Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 14:21:53 +0200
From:      Plamen Petkov <plamendp@techno-link.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Panic Can't mount root

Rick Hamell wrote:

> > I'm am almost certain that I am doing the install correctly on a 1.2G drive West Dig Caviar split in two with Win95 on the first partition and installing FreeBSD on the extended partition (deleting slice then creating new slice for FreeBSD).  I do a small installation "User with X Windows".  everything goes smooth until I re-boot then I get the "panic can't mount root".  This is the fourth time I've attempted this and it's getting !@#$%#@# frustrating
> >
> > PLEEEEEEZ HELP!
>
>         Please set your Email to wrap at 70-80 lines. From a dos boot disk
> do fdisk /mbr If that does not work, reinstall again and use the
> BootManager option.

I wouldn't do that (reinstall) ... yet.. Fdisk /mbr is OK, though...

First, run Sysinstall (boot from your CD or floppy as you would make a
new/fresh installation).

Then go to Configure->Partition and try to figure out if the drive
geometry is OK. It must be the SAME as your BIOS reports it is (disk
should be in LBA mode, hence the cyilinders are UNDER 1024: FreeBSD
won't run if your root partition [the slice] starts over 1024 cyl).

If geometry doesn't seems OK - change it and ... press 'W' (this option
is hidden at this moment). Answer 'Yes' to the next warning message.
Hopely, this will fix the disk partition table.

[reboot!  is it OK ?]

[if not]

Now go to Configure->Label. If [freebsd] partitions seems ok, i.e. you
can see your /, /var, /usr and swap partitions, don't change anything -
just pres 'W' again... hmm... or even don't do anything... just 'Q' (I
would suggesting this as a first step!).

Just be carefull and watch your fingers :-) Don't answer 'Yes' if you
are not sure about it :-)

Huh.. did you try the kernel boot options ? [can't remember them, whatch
your initial boot screen for help].

Well, if you don't have any data of important interest on your FreeBSD
partition - just make a new and fresh installation... reinstall.. that's
it :-)

"FreeBSD install vs. Windows reinstall"

--
** !REMOVE NOSPAM! **