Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 10:51:42 -0400
From:      "Gerald T. Freymann" <freymann@eagle.ca>
To:        "Peter" <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Only root can get sound.

> You just lost me.
> As user all I type is 'xmms' not 'xmms > /dev/null' if that is what you
meant ---

 I had this problem as well. The non-root user needs to load xmms, and
there's a setting in there that selects the audio OUTPUT method. I had to
change it to something else (sorry, can't remember from memory) and voila,
it started working.

 Similar to the way you can tell WinAmp to output mp3's to wav format in a
directory...

 Xmms allows you to select various output/sound methods. Experiment. It'll
work eventually! I believe I found this out by reading the docs in the xmms
directory....

-gf