Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 02:08:04 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        mflan@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with TCPDUMP

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 03:07:31PM -0400, mflan@mindspring.com wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> I am trying to get TCPDUMP to work properly. It is already installed
> on my system but will not run. When I try to change to the directorys
> where it is located it doesnt seem to have an exacutable it will just have another directory with a make or config file.
>
> bash$ tcpdump -i ep0
> bash: tcpdump: command not found
> bash$

This means that a tcpdump executable does not exist anywhere in your
search path.  In my 4-stable installation at home I can see:

	hades% which tcpdump
	/usr/sbin/tcpdump

> bash$ whereis tcpdump
> tcpdump: /usr/src/usr.sbin/tcpdump /usr/src/contrib/tcpdump
> bash$

Ok, you have the sources :-)

If you haven't done this already, you really ought to buildworld and
installworld afterwards.  You'll get bitten by incompatibilities in
kernel and userland code sooner or later.  Especially later, i.e. after
you compile and install a custom kernel.  This should get you a working
version of tcpdump in /usr/sbin too, among other useful things.

If you don't know how to recompile your `world', the handbook contains
detailed instructions, but it should be as easy as doing:

	# cd /usr/src
	# make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC
	# make installkernel KERNEL=GENERIC
	[ reboot with kernel.GENERIC here ]
	# cd /usr/src
	# make buildworld
	[ boot into single user mode ]
	# mount -u -a
	# cd /usr/src
	# make installworld
	[ optionally reboot here, or simply exit from single-user mode ]

If you only want to build tcpdump, you can probably get away with:

	# cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tcpdump
	# make all
	# make install

But I cannot guarrantee that this will work as expected.

Oh, and post questions to freebsd-questions from now on :-)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >