Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2022 22:17:12 +1000
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Saniya Maheshwari <saniya.mah@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Heating issues with FreeBSD on laptop

On 27 September 2022 5:29:53 pm AEST, Saniya Maheshwari <saniya=2Emah@gmail=
=2Ecom> wrote:
 >=20
 > On Tue, Sep 27 2022 at 03:08:30 PM +1000 +1000, Ian Smith=20
 > <smithi@nimnet=2Easn=2Eau> wrote:
 >=20
 > > What make and model laptop?
 >=20
 > Dell Inspiron 15 7510=2E
 >=20
 > > What version of FreeBSD?
 >=20
 > 13=2E1-RELEASE=2E

Helps to know, though not me :)

 > > Please show results of
 > >=20
 > > $ sysctl hw=2Eacpi
 > >=20
 > > If none, acpi=2Eko isn't loaded=2E
 > >=20
 > > Otherwise select Verbose Booting from the startup menu, and scan=20
 > > results in /var/run/dmesg=2Eboot to look for errors while booting=2E
 > >=20
 > > You may need to put that file up on some site, and post a link to
 > > it here=2E
 >=20
 > I get results for
 >=20
 > $ sysctl hw=2Eacpi
 >=20
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Ebattery=2Einfo_expire: 5
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Ebattery=2Eunits: 1
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Ebattery=2Estate: 1
 > =2E=2E=2E
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Esleep_button_state: S3
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Epower_button_state: S5
 > hw=2Eacpi=2Esupported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5

Is that really all?  What about '=2E=2E=2E' ?

 > I tried a verbose boot as you said and went through=20
 > /var/run/dmesg=2Eboot=2E I didn't see anything that seemed particularly
 > of=20
 > interest, for instance
 >=20
 > $ grep 'error' /var/run/dmesg=2Eboot
 >=20
 > gave only some WiFi related errors=2E I'll upload the full file soon;
 > I'm=20
 > new to BSD so it's taking me some time to set up the system and get=20
 > that file to a site=2E

Before you do, it might be worth adding these to /etc/sysctl=2Econf:

hw=2Eacpi=2Everbose=3D1
hw=2Eacpi=2Ecpu=2Ecx_lowest=3DCmax

The former may provide deeper boot logging of problems (not necessarily ca=
lled 'error') and the latter, if applicable to your CPU, might actually run=
 cooler at idle=2E  Then

$ sysctl dev=2Ecpu=2E0 | grep -v '\=2E%'

might provide clues=2E

 > > How about:
 > >=20
 > > $ sysctl -a | grep fan
 >=20
 > That gives no results either=2E

Ah ok, on mine that's from loaded module acpi_ibm=2E  On my 12=2E3 system =
I see no acpi_dell=2Eko in /boot/kernel, so maybe no extra support?

cheers, Ian