Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 17:22:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap space filling up overnight.

ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net wrote:
> Greetings.
> Granted, that was not the most descriptive topic I could have given, but
> I hope it gets the point across.
> I am running an apache 1.2.6 on a freebsd rel 2.2.6 box.
> In one night, the swap space reported by df, as reported as /dev/wd0a
> holding 31775 has filled up almost entirely.

This sounds more like your root partition, not swap. AFAIK df
doesn't report swap usage. (pstat -s does, though) Swap is traditionally
on the 'b' partition.  Check your /etc/fstab for details of what
is mounted where.

> When just last night the percentage of swap taken was only at 50
> percent.
> I have stopped the webserver, I have rebooted the machine.  Still for
> some reason the swap space is still reported as completely full.
> I haven't realy made any modifications to the machine, so I am a bit
> puzzled at this point.

Right. Look through the root partition (the files under / but not on
another partion) for what's wrong. (Swap will always be freed up on reboot).

I have a feeling that apache may be caching there, or filling a log
file, assuming that /var is part of / on your system.

Try this:
	cd /
	du -k -x

This will give you a subdir-by-subdir breakout of diskusage.

> Is there any script or command that I can perform that will give me a
> readout of what the swap is being used for?

pstat -s, but then again swap isn't the problem, I think.

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.