Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:05:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:
> OK, I am a bit confused here, I have herd that I CAN use NAT on the cisco to th
> the gateway/firewall/router(FreeBSD box) and then I Can't use nat on cisco to
> firewall if I am going to use natd on the FreeBSD box....

Let me see If I can straigten out your assumptions here.

Let's first talk about the 675 and what It can do by itself.  If that's
all you need then why complicate the issue with natd?

The 675 runs what is called CBOS.  CBOS includes BOTH NAT and Filtering
capabilities.   Or, in other words, exactly what natd/ipfw does on
FreeBSD.

In a "normal" environment you would set the 675 to NAT mode and plug it
directly into your internal network.  You would probably also configure
some security-related things like a password, etc.   If you are paranoid,
you can also set up additional filters.

In addition, if you have a static outside IP you can also turn on what I
call "static port/address translation", or in other words, re-route
inbound traffic destined for a specific protocol/ip to the inside
world.  (I.E. all inbound mail traffic goes toward a mail server)
Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to support a dynamic IP, although CBOS
might be smarter than I'm giving it credit for.

You can also turn on PPP bridging which basically takes the IP frames and
stuffs them out on the ethernet.   I can't vouch for how well this
works.  I can't see how this would work well at all in the dynamic IP
world.  Athough, if you really wanted to do natd/ipfw on the freebsd box
and you had a static IP address this should work well.  In essence, you
(should) be able to assign your static IP to the outside interface of your
FreeBSD box.  Again, I can't vouch for this or to how well it works, and
it seems likely to not work very well.

Now, onto the FreeBSD box.

If you really want to go through natd/ipfw (I don't believe there is any
security benefits of doing so). Then, you should just be able to plug the
FreeBSD box into the 675 and configure natd like normal.  Everything
should work just fine.  However, if you have a static IP and you would
like to say recieve inbound mail on port 25, you will need to set up the
nat rules on BOTH the 675 and the FreeBSD box.   In essense you become
"double firewalled" and as such everything has to be checked by both.

Unless you have a specific reason not to do so, I would just plug the 675
into your internal lan and be done with it.   The only probable exception
to that is if you have a static IP and would like to try and see if you
can make the ppp bridging work.

For your reference, the manuals for the 675 are at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/c600s/index.htm

You will want to click on the "Cisco Broadband Operating System
(CBOS)" link to get to the "real" configuration manual.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ