Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:09:37 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Stephen Cravey <cravey@nol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum tape drive SCSI issues

On Mon, 14-Aug-2000 at 17:29:08 -0500, Stephen Cravey wrote:
> We've just gotten a Quantum DLT 4000 Series changer that I've plugged into the
> external port on a 2940UW PRO with 2 baraccudas on the internal bus.
>
> On boot, after a while, I get
>
> ahc0: Someone reset channel A
>
> This is a 3.5-STABLE system.
>
> I suspect it will end up being something stupid, I just haven't been able to
> figure it out yet.

I assume the barracudas have a wide interface.
I assume the DLT has an 8 bit interface so you use an external
wide --> small cable. Does the cable terminate the upper 8 bits?
If not then:

- terminate the last barracuda
- terminate the DLT
- set the 2940UW termination to high/on and low/off

Upgrade the DLT firmware: ftp://ftp.quantum.com/Tape_Firmware/DLT4000
Upgrade the 2940UW: ftp://ftp.adaptec.digisle.net/eprom_bios/2940uw_bios_v2572.exe

> Incidentally, Anyone got a URL for good docs for the SCSI Select utility?

Well, use the defaults (loaded with F6 or F5, don't remember it now)
Then change the termination as above. If you still get errors lower
the transfer speed. If it works then you still have a termination
problem or a bad cable...

How long are your cables all together?

	-Andre