Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:52:10 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@netzero.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C style continued.... (Craig and Terry)

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:08:22PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> The student owns the work, and no, the professor does not have the
> rught to discriminate against students in this manner (at least not in
> the US.)  If it really bothers you, go harrass your counselor, dept
> head, or dean (depending on how important this is to you :).

At my school at least the school owned all copyrights on all work done
for class[0].  This is pretty standard from what I've gathered.  OTOH,
in either case the professor has not basis for his copyright stance since
either the school owns it and no mere professor can dictate licensing
without the school's legal counsel or the student owns it and can simply
void the whole GPL thing by reissuing it under a BSD license since only
a complete zelot would use code under the GPL when it's also available
under a BSD license.

-- Brooks

[0] With of course, the obvious exception of work done under contract.