Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:13:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: requesting guidance for updating the RocketPort driver

John Baldwin writes:

 > On 09-Feb-02 Julian Elischer wrote:
 > > he infrastructure needed for a new driver can be taken from
 > > the sample driver in /usr/share/examples/drivers/make_device_driver.sh
 > > IN -CURRENT. (use cvdweb on the website to get it)
 > >
 > > that will at least get rid of the 'shims' stuff.
 >
 > There is already a newer driver in current.  I've backported it but it didn't
 > help me get my RocketPort working. :-P  (I think my rocketport has other issues
 > though as other people have had success with the cards on the old driver.)  The
 > backport is fairly easy.  You need to bascially take the src/sys/dev/rp/
<..>

I've done essentially that and have been using it to drive serial
consoles off my alpha for a few months now on -stable with no problems.
I needed the newer driver from -current because the old driver isn't
bus-space-ified and doens't work on alpha

	 rp0: <RocketPort PCI> port 0x10180-0x101bf irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci0
	 RocketPort0 (Version 3.02) 8 ports.

Try http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/rp.tgz.  I never bothered to
touch all the files files so that means you must build it as a module:

cd /usr/src
fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~gallatin/rp.tgz
tar zxf rp.tgz
cd sys/modules/rp
make depend && make && make install
kldload rp
(this assumes you're not already running a kernel with old driver
built in)

All the standard disclaimers apply. Don't blame me if it blows up your
computer, gives you an ulcer or gives your cat hairballs...

Anyway, let me know if it works any better for you than the old driver
in -stable.  I've been reluctant to commit it since I don't want to be
responsible for maintaining it and just running serial consoles at
9600 baud doesn't push things hard enough to find bugs.

Drew