Date:      27 Feb 2002 16:17:15 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb product identified as ugen

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 16:07, Riccardo Torrini wrote:
> On 27-Feb-2002 (18:35:18/GMT) Scott long wrote:
>
> > You don't mention how your kernel is presently configured
> > or what other troubleshooting you've done, so all you can
> > hope to receive are wild guesses like:
>
> Usually I don't make stupid questions (I think), sorry for
> wasting your time, but after 4 auto-reboot on last 24 hours
> I'm not sure of nothing, even of my name  :)

Yes, I've had those kinds of days also =-)

> > - Configure a kernel with the umass, scbus, and da devices,
> >   along with the standard usb devices.  This is documented
> >   in both the GENERIC config file and NOTES...
>
> Sorry, last time I checked comment I got (for device umass):
> USB Iomega Zip 100 Drive (Requires scbus and da) so I think
> that was only for Zip, not for all.

It's commented in the 'device umass' line in GENERIC, but that's not a
big deal.

Is the umass device compiled into the kernel, or loaded as a module?  If
it's a module, is it loaded before you attach the drive?  The usb daemon
isn't smart enough yet to load it, it seems.  Thus, you must load it
manually, else the ugen driver will claim the device.

> > (as I assume that you are running -current)
>
> Yes, of course (from 3.0).  I missing only da devices  :(
> Going to rebuild world and kernel...

The da device is certainly required, though not having would give you
different symptoms, or so I think.  Try adding the da device and see
what happens.

> [...after 4 hours...]
>
> puff, puff, pant, pant...  reboot...
>
> :(  The same, ugen0, ugen0.1 and ugen0.2 but build seems fine,
> it compile all world and kernel without need of NO_WERROR.
>

> > - There may be a bug.
>
> A bug would be better than a need for a custom driver for win.
> Have you any idea of what can I check now?

The USB_DEBUG, UGEN_DEBUG, and UMASS_DEBUG kernel options might be
helpful.

Scott