Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 16:34:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Joachim Kuebart <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: lkms

On Sun, 18 May 1997, Joachim Kuebart wrote:

> On 14-May-97 at 01:56:28 Chuck Robey wrote:
> >I haven't ever used any lkm stuff before, but I want to give it a try
> >now, on the cdrom driver.  I don't have a cdrom configured into the
> >kernel here ... how do I go about using it?  Any tips on maximizing
> >safety?  I'm running current.
>
> In the kernel config file (/sys/i386/conf/YOURKERNEL) select the appropriate
> CDROM driver (wcd for an ATAPI drive, scd for a Sony CDU etc.) See
> /sys/i386/conf/LINT for hints.
>
> Then run MAKEDEV in /dev and create your device
>
> Then add a line like
>
> /dev/?cd0               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> to your /etc/fstab
>
> Security:
> As _root_, do:
>
>         # mount /cdrom
>         # umount /cdrom

I was probably mistaken, but I thought that if you put it into your
kernel config file, then the device was compiled statically into your
kernel, and an lkm ws not needed.  Could you define the difference
between compiling it in statically, and using an lkm, from an
installation point of view?

BTW, I have a full scsi system.  No IDE, no ATAPI, don't want one.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |