Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:14:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com, karl@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> > Or a FibreChannel array. Will be playing with that for the rest of the
> > week.  I'm pretty curious to see how that behaves.
>
> Ah, the first usable and functional disk channel to hit small computers.
> The demos I saw several years ago showed over 1,700 TPS to a single drive.
> And it is redundant, EMI/RFI clean, wonderful, and expensive.

For now we have a FC frontend connection, and UW on the device end. Makes
it possible to go from a UWD frontend array controller to a FC one with
the same box & drives.

> > I don't know if DPT will be part of our product offering. I play with
> > what they throw at me ;-) The FC array is cute so I don't complain.
>
> I do NOT work for DPT.  I get generous help when I need it.  But they have
> an FCAL HBA someplace.  There was another company in Colorado (?) which had
> a controller.  They promised me a card to write the FreeBSD driver, but I
> never hear from them anymore.

HBA for PCI / FC can be had from Emulex, Jaycor, Adaptec, Genroco, PTI and
probably more.

> >> the ball on tracking these down but will pick it up soon.  SMP is twice
> >> as slow as UP in these tests.
> >
> > Somebody/something locking resources? But that is definetely worth
> > investigating for SMP users.
>
> Yup.  I never invoked any interest in this phenomenon, other than ``if you
> find why, give me the patch''.

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --