Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 02:57:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jack@germanium.xtalwind.net
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

Simon Shapiro said:

> The way I understand the Sendmail announcement, is that new, future,
> versions will be commercially encumbered.  What is in our tree is not (I
> cannot see how it could be).

I don't see that is necessarily true.  There will likely be a non-commercial
as-is sendmail like today.  There will also be a commercial sendmail.

> Now, if we choose to just maintain this code base, we have no problem.
> Sendmail has been around for some decades now and should be pretty stable.
> It is safe to assume that new, replacement versions are not essential
> anymore.  If we choose to bring in a new, commercial version, then we will
> violate many spoken and unspoken rules of this wonderful project.

We will not bring in the commercial version, by default, probably even if
it is free for FreeBSD use.  People regularly like to hack on *BSD software,
and additional encumberances just don't fit our model.

> If we find ourselves in a situation where we have to replace sendmail with
> unencumbered code, I volunteer to write it.  I do not enjoy such work in
> particular, but will do it for the good of the project.  I promise to make
> the code Berkeley license, before I write the first line.

:-).  I think that if sendmail does become significantly encumbered, a new
mailer project would be a very good thing.  It is likely that such a project
either being a single person type thing, or a large (Apache) type thing would
be a good marketing vehicle for whomever is involved.

> So where do you see us stand:
>
> a.  No problem at all, business as usual
> b.  We only sustain existing sendmail, and defer replacement until the code
>     athrophies enough (via missing new functionality, or just age)
> c.  We want to replace sendmail asap, but have a replacement in mind.
> d.  We need to start a new MTA project.
> e.  Something else which Simon did not think about.

I think that right now, it is best to think in 'a' mode above.  'd' mode
is a good thing, but something that one would want to think very seriously
about before embarking on.  I think that 'b' mode would happen only if
Sendmail does become significantly encumbered.  'c' mode is probably as
problematical as a commercial sendmail.

Sendmail is the de-facto very (perhaps too) general standard, compared with
other mailers.  I think that we should stick with it as the default until
this thing settles out.  Again, if someone had lots of energy, 'd' can't be a
bad thing.  I suspect that if the effort is started, that it might become
commercial, due to the significant effort that the project would entail.

It seems that MTA replacements are one of those things that suck people
in by their deceptive simplicity.  I could be wrong, because I haven't
really looked into MTA's myself (except when having to mess with Sendmail
config files, which I like much less than writing Lex and Yacc programs.)

Again, the above are only my opinions, and I don't have any interest
in dissuading a new MTA project.  I do think that we are due for a new
(less general, but easier to configure and simpler) one, but I also don't
think that Sendmail will be going the way of the evil empire.  If it does,
the problem will be solved, and I suspect that if you are interested,
you and others interested in it would participate in or spearhead such
an effort.  The results of that effort could be adopted by all of the
Free OSes (kind-of like Apache.)

(Again, the above opinions are mine, and not necessarily that of -core.)