Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:14:29 -0400
From:      Martin Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice & wordperfect

At 10:27 AM 8/24/98 -0700, William Woods wrote:

>> Since you use both, how would you rate them?  (eg. compared to each other,
>> and to M$)
>
>Well, If you are into the Free Word Processors, then, in my opinion you cant
>beat StarOffice. For my daily work though (I have need to translate several
>different wp's files) WP 7 was the choice. The $$ part for WP was not a big
>deal, as the company I work for bought it for wiork.

Ah, Corel for free.  Can't beat that.  If I could afford it, I would
definitely go
the Corel route (coming from Ottawa and all), but I think I will definitely
give StarOffice a try.

>> I do notice that Corel has put out a *nix port of Wordperfect.  How come M$
>> hasn't
>> followed suit?  Are they a little afraid of this "other" operating system
>
>I thionk I can answer this....why would MS put out a Suite that doesnt run on
>their OS...it defeats their pourpose....while Corel has no OS and
therefore can
>support many platforms.

Interesting - I thought for sure that MS has had a version of Office that
ran on
Mac OS for years (maybe it was just Word...)

I also seem to recall not too long ago a certain Mr. Copeland (Corel's
version of
Bill Gates) said that Corel had no plans to develop Corel Suite for OS2
since they
didn't believe that the demand was there.  I wonder if this is still the
case, and
if so that means that FreeBSD has (in Corel's eyes) more appeal to a
customer base
than IBM!!

M.