Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 01:05:54 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unique question......

On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 11:57:00AM -0700, William Woods wrote:
> I have a recently acquired laptop, no floppy drive or cdrom. I
> would like to install FreeBSD on it, it does have a built in modem.
> It currently has Win95 omn it.
>
> What I want to do is this, blow away win95 and install freebsd.
> There is no way to make a boot floppy for it (it has no floppy
> drive) so, I am at a loss how to do this.....any ideas appreciated.

What you need to do is use fbsdboot.exe under DOS.  Create a
directory called "c:\freebsd" and place the files "fbsdboot.exe"
and "kernel" in it.  Execute the command "fbsdboot -D kernel", and
you're off just as if you had used the boot floppy!

These files can be found in the root directory of CDROM #1 included
with The Complete FreeBSD.  fbsdboot.exe is easy to find elsewhere,
but the special kernel is typically found only compressed and stored
within the boot floppy's Unix filesystem.

If you want me to send you the file personally, send me e-mail off
list.  Of course, I would much rather point you to an official FTP
site.  Also, if anything goes wrong, it would be much easier to have
both a floppy drive and the book available.

Good luck,
Aaron