Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 02:37:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bootblocks / Bootloader

Please wrap your messages to sensible margins.

> ok, on this ELF system:
> FreeBSD daemon.ninth-circle.org 3.0-CURRENT
> FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Jan  2 09:14:28 CET 1999
> asmodai@daemon.ninth-circle.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/DAEMON  i386

> I installed the new bootblocks and bootloader and it works like a
> charm. However the directions that were given in a previous mail about
> the steps required are enough to get it working but lack in some things
> (which I unfortunately have no idea about how to fix, yet).

> 1) I have the /boot.config file but the loader complains about /boot/
>     boot.config, so should boot.config not be in /boot?

It doesn't, as I believe I've already mentioned to you in a previous
message.  The loader reads /boot/boot.conf, which is a totally different
animal.  /boot.config is only required if you have not upgraded the
bootblocks; it should *not* be generally used.

> 2) after the bootloader continues to load I get a warning that my
> kernel's symbol table doesn't match. I didn't have this problem before
> the new blocks.

Please quote the exact message that you get.  This report is useless.

> 3) I also got a complaint from the loader about another missing config
> file which I can't remember the name from.

Please quote the exact message that you get.  This report is useless.

> Oh btw, make world also installs bootstraps and such, does it leave the new
> bootblocks alone or do I have to add a flag to my make worlds ?

The world build installs a new loader, but it does not replace the
bootblocks.  You have to do that by hand (disklabel -B).