Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 10:30:45 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Kevin Lo <kevlo@hello.com.tw>
Subject:   Re: FAQ team.

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 06:59:56PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 10-May-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Not yet.  I haven't looked seriously at DocBook 3.1 yet, which is what
> > we'll do the FAQ in.  3.1 has a new qandaset element (and subelements)
> > for marking up FAQs.
>
> Do we want to change /usr/doc/share/sgml/freebsd.dtd to use 3.1 and get rid of
> the FAQ* entries from it or would you rather move the FreeBSD specifics out
> into another file that freebsd.dtd and freebsd-faq.dtd (or
> freebsd-31.dtd or something) include?

I'm not quite sure I understand.

I'm going to get a repository copy done of freebsd.dtd to
freebsd-docbook-300.dtd.  Then I'll update the catalog file to point to
that for the FPI "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.0-Based Extension//EN".

Then I'll create freebsd-docbook-310.dtd, based on DocBook 3.1, and
create an FPI for that, which will probably be

    "-//FreeBSD//DTD DocBook V3.1-Based Extension//EN"

That way we can have 3.0 and 3.1 based documents co-existing in the
tree.  As soon as that's done we can then use both DTDs without fear of
them clashing.  I will strip the FAQ* elements out of both DTDs.

> > If anyone wants to experiment with this, here's a very quick sample of
> > how it might be used.  Make sure you've got the docbook-310 port
> > installed for this.  Notice how one question can have several answers
> > attached to it.  This could be very useful for including multiple answers
> > depending on the FreeBSD version in use; you could use the "os" attribute
> > to differentiate between them.
>
> Spiffy.  Would we be better off doing it by hand or by using the
> linuxdoc-to-handbook script you referred to earlier?

I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand.  Look at

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en/handbook/Attic/README?rev=1.66

for an idea of how I did the Handbook.

Note that I've not (yet) finalised the directory tree I want to use for
doc/*, because I hadn't considered character encoding in my last message.
I'll be writing a message to -doc about this soon, inviting further comment.

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--