Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 16:33:37 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest laptop recommendations

"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> On 07-Dec-99 Darryl Okahata wrote:
> >    [ Also, by "suspend/resume" in 3.3-RELEASE, I'm talking about
> >      "suspend-to-RAM".  I haven't figured out how to do a suspend-to-
> >      disk under FreeBSD.  I'm not sure it's even possible. ]
>
> Well for a Sharp laptop I've used its just a BIOS option.. ie you choose whic
> one you want..

     Well, yes, but the idea is that you want to be able to *CHOOSE*
which one to use from a *RUNNING* OS.  Having to screw with the BIOS and
reboot is pretty unfriendly.  Ideally, you should be able to choose
either suspend-to-RAM or suspend-to-disk, once FreeBSD has been booted.
I could do that with my old HP Omnibook 3000CTX, but I haven't figured
out how to do it with the Dell Inspiron 7500 (which also has a BIOS
option).  Win98 does some magic to allow either suspend mode, but I
suspect that one would have to write some BIOS twiddling code for
FreeBSD to allow for both.

     Complicating this is the fact that the "suspend-to-disk" area is in
a *file* in the Win98 partition (which means that suspend-to-disk will
not, as is, work for FreeBSD, because the Win98 partition is not the
active partition when running FreeBSD ;-).  I could try moving the
suspend-to-disk area to a partition (the command to do this is
straightforward), but I don't know if that'll work, and I don't really
feel like repartitioning the HD and reinstalling -current.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com