Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:01:33 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        inspector.us@omicnet.com
Cc:        FBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade; best bet?

inspector.us@omicnet.com wrote:

>Hello all;
>
>I have read the handbook section on cvsup--it's a little over my head.  I
>have installed the portupgrade utility.  First, what do I need to do to
>upgrade gettext?  Then, what's the [best] way for me to upgrade my ports
>tree, as I need XFree86-4.2.0?

CVSup is actually very easy. I havent read the section in the handbook
so I cant tell how well they explain it, but basically, this is what you
need to do.
Copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile to your home or some other
place you find suitable.
Edit the ports-supfile. Its well commented and basically all you need to
do is choose a cvsup server close to you. The rest of the default values
should do just fine.
Run cvsup with 'cvsup -g -L2 /path/to/ports-supfile'.
Sit back and relax for a few minutes and your ports tree will be updated.